It is particularly challenging when you are traveling with kids abroad.
Table of Contents
- Bulky design, powerful hardware
- Get Huge offer on Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 on Amazon (Black Friday Sales exclusive)
- 1 NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Router (R7800) - AC2600 Wireless Speed (up to 2600 Mbps) | Up to... BUY NOW Amazon.com BUY NOW Amazon.com 2 NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P) - AC4000 Tri-band Wireless Speed (Up to 4000... BUY NOW Amazon.com BUY NOW Amazon.com 3 Netgear (R7800-100NAS) Nighthawk X4S AC2600 4x4 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Gigabit Ethernet,... BUY NOW Amazon.com BUY NOW Amazon.com 4 NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem WiFi Router Combo (C7800) - Compatible with Cable Providers... BUY NOW Amazon.com BUY NOW Amazon.com 5 NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 Wi-Fi Router with 4 Ethernet Ports and Wireless Speeds Up to... BUY NOW Amazon.com BUY NOW Amazon.com
- Easy setup, confusing Web interface
- Familiar features, now with MU-MIMO
Bulky design, powerful hardware
The X4S offers quad-stream support (8 4) with a high speed of 1,733Mbps on the 5GHz band or more to 800Mbps on 2.4GHz, in comparison to 600Mbps of the X4. The netgear nighthawk x4s ac2600 includes both bands which results in a top Wi-Fi bandwidth of 2,553Mbps.
The router is the most powerful one available to buy, owning a dual-core 1.7GHz processor with 256MB of RAM and 512MB of flash memory. Unfortunately, powerful hardware doesn’t always result in fast performance; that was the case here with the X4 The Netgear X4S, in my own testing, tended to deliver when put up against the other two router lines. More on this information below.
Get Huge offer on Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 on Amazon (Black Friday Sales exclusive)
Easy setup, confusing Web interface
Similar to most Netgear routers, the R7800 is prepared to use right out of your box. It preconfigured with a Wi-Fi network which information (name and password) are printed on the back of these devices. This information allows for a more straightforward setup process; plug the router into power, hook up its WAN (Internet) port to a broadband modem and you are done.
But if you wish to customize your network (for instance, changing the name of the Wi-Fi network and setting new passwords), that’s a different story. The router includes a sluggish and confusing Web interface, called Netgear Genie, with way too many menu items. Common preferences and settings are difficult to acquire, like if you wish the router to work in one of two Wi-Fi standards by default.
In addition to the Web interface, you can use the free downloadable Netgear Genie iphone app for the work. Though it is slightly easier to use, this application gives you access only to certain router settings and features. It is disappointing how little the Netgear Genie software has improved since it began years ago.
Familiar features, now with MU-MIMO
When it comes to wireless speeds and range, the X4 is not quite comparable to bigger units such as Linksys’s Nighthawk series. Nevertheless, this router still has faster speeds for a home use than its competitors do.
What sets the X4S apart from the X4, however, may be the fact that it now supports Multi-User Multiple Input Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) technology. This feature permits the router to distribute multiple simultaneous transmissions of different Wi-Fi tiers to different Wi-Fi clients simultaneously, enabling all of them
to connect at The adapter creates a more efficient connection with each client, since a slow computer won’t diminish the performance of faster ones.
I ve tested many routers and this is one of the best. On 5GHz, at close range, it registered 786Mbps, which is blazingly fast. When I increased my testing length to 100 feet (with one wall in the way), it still scored 538Mbps, the fastest.